KEMA HOUSE DESCRIPTION
The architect designed KEMA house sits perched on a slight rise with westerly views of the ocean, Denman Island and the mountains of Vancouver Island. Surrounding the house are gardens with rain forest to the rear and a gently sloped treed field to the side with a fire pit. There is private waterfront access across Shingle Spit road on the KEMA property.
KEMA HOUSE TOUR
1 km from Ferry Landing
Only 1 km from ferry landing and Thatch Restaurant & Pub.
Private House Entrance
Front door entrance access with app, code or key entry.
On property parking.
2 Queen Beds with Linens
2 queen beds with memory foam mattresses with cotton/linnen bed linens. We make our beds European style without a top sheet (duvet covers are washed after every stay), but provide a top sheet for your use if desired. Linens are washed with anti-allergen, organic laundry detergent.
Towels provided. Guests must bring their own beach towels.
Indoor Soaker Tub & Outdoor Shower
Indoor soaker tub & outdoor garden shower with immediate access to master bath.
BBQ & Fire Pit
BBQ on front deck & a fire pit on the field to the right side of the house.
Mountain & Water Views with Great Sunsets
Westerly views across Lambert Channel towards Denman & Vancouver Islands.
Decks for Relaxation & Outdoor Living
House front deck with water and mountain views. House south deck, great for hiding away in the late afternoon with garden view.
Beach access across the road on the water front side of our property to our virtually private beach with shady deck. Access is via a number of flights of stairs (we are a high bank property).
High tide offers some great beginner snorkeling opportunities.
Carry your kayaks down to the waterfront and launch during high tide directly from our beach.
Walk to the ferry landing and then on along the enchanted Ford Cove trail to Ford's Cove.
KEMA HOUSE RATES
Please contact us if you have any questions
- 5 night stay minimum
- 10 % discount for 7 nights or more
- Taxes: 8% PST, 5% GST, 3% MRDT
- 3 night stay minimum
- 10% discount for 7 nights or more
- Taxes: 8% PST, 5% GST, 3% MRDT
- 5 night stay minimum
- 13% discount applies for stays 7 nights or longer
- 7% discount for stays of 5 - 6 nights
- Karen H.10 Nov 2021 - VRBOFall getaway We had a wonderful November stay at the KEMA house. The property had everything we needed. It was a cosy and warm place to return to at the end of our days of long walks through various trails on beautiful Hornby Island. Martin was a very responsive host. We highly recommend a visit here.Maryam W.07 Sep 2021 - VRBOBlissful Stay on Hornby KEMA house was a wonderful place to call home for a week.
The home was clean and obviously well loved by Martin and his family. Communication with the owner was very easy and timely. The property is private and tranquil and the beach across the street is virtually deserted! The sunsets from the beach and beautiful; bring a picnic basket and just immerse yourself in the beauty of the place. Thank you Rempel family for sharing your oasis with us!Michael25 Jun 2018 - AirbnbThe house was incredibly comfortable and has everything you need for a wonderful stay on Hornby. The house is spacious inside and well laid out. The kitchen is well stocked, bedrooms were great and the garden outside is perfect with a beautiful ocean view from the front deck. The location is close enough to everything but also secluded and private and the stunning beach across the road is fantastic for walks and sunsets.
- Crystal30 Sep 2017 - AirbnbThe KEMA house is a comfortable place to stay on Hornby very close to the Ferry and local Pub. The sunsets over the water were lovely from this side of the Island too. But note that the water is across the main road and down a number of stairs, the house is not on the water. Also make sure to bring water with you for drinking (and maybe brushing teeth) because the house is on a well and the water smells highly of sulfur. Otherwise, the house is super comfortable for your Hornby stay. Cooking is easy in the big kitchen and the beds were good.Kendra H.18 Sep 2020 - VRBOPerfect for our family This house worked out perfectly for our family. The kids loved the playhouse and playing in the yard, and we loved getting some late-afternoon downtime on the front deck each day while they did so. It great to have a quiet, peaceful spot to relax after our days at the beach.Glynis14 Sep 2020 - VRBOBeautiful The property and house are both fantastic
- Carolyn C.05 Oct 2019 - VRBOBeautiful, thought spot Thanks so much for sharing the KEMA house a wonderful feel!Marty30 Aug 2018 - VRBOLovely home, well equipped and comfortable! Enjoyed our time here very much! The place was spotless with everything we needed and more! Sooo many books! :))) We only wished we could have stayed longer! Love Hornby and would definitely want to stay at KEMA House again! Thank you! M. RileyRob M.10 Jun 2019 - VRBOGreat holiday Stayed two weeks at KEMA cottage. Quiet and enjoyable.
- Brandy F.14 Nov 2016 - VRBOWonderful island get-away with a view of the ocean and a wonderful book collection. Had a cozy winter holiday here and can only imagine a summer visit to enjoy the decks and the beach below.Jennifer S.31 Mar 2022 - VRBOHornby is beautiful in the spring! I have never been to Hornby in the spring, and it was so peaceful! This house was in a great location, with it's own private beach. The house is very artfully decorated, and had all the amenities we needed.Brian W.29 May 2017 - VRBOSunny May Getaway What a splendid house. Bright, well equipped and full of books and tasteful décor. Enjoyed the sunny deck both on the porch and down below on the enchanted beach below. Will certainly return.
- Steve & Charmaine L.06 Oct 2020 - VRBOA Home away from Home ! This home greets you immediately with warmth, charm & style! Loads of light including 3 decks accessing sun exposure anytime during the day. The decor is unique with collectibles and an intriguing library of books.
The modern & amazingly equipped kitchen was easy to prep & enjoy our meals. Our October visit had many evenings sitting outside watching the sun setting.
Oh & the outdoor shower is an experience not to be missed!
We would love to repeat another holiday on Hornby Island with a stay at KEMA House.
As the access to the beach, walks & cycling has it all!
Thank you Martin for sharing your lovely home
Steve & CharmaineLandon C.24 Aug 2019 - VRBOKEMA HOUSE the best rental on Hornby KEMA HOUSE was extremely clean and comfortable. We stayed for more then a week and we felt so at home. We will absolutely stay again in the future.Hope P.28 Aug 2019 - VRBOLovely stay at KEMA House on Hornby Island We very much enjoyed our stay at KEMA House on Hornby Island. The house was clean, comfortable, well-equipped and full of character. My kids enjoyed the playhouse out back and picking blackberries in the large yard. Martin was an excellent host, and very quick to reply to a couple of our queries during our stay. We hope to visit again in future!
- Karin10 Jun 2017 - AirbnbGreat place to stay on Hornby!Stephan17 Sep 2018 - AirbnbClean place great location. Attentioned host. Better than the pics.Qiaoyi L.16 Apr 2017 - VRBOLovely house The house is spacious and lovely, equipped with all the essentials. Location is pefect, 1 minute drive from the ferry terminal and few minutes walk to the beach. We didn't get to meet the owner, but the cleaner Andrea helped us open the key lock and suggested a few places to visit which was very helpful. The island is beautiful, would love to come back in the summer to visit wineries and enjoy more activities.
- Daniel03 Jul 2017 - AirbnbWe had the pleasure of staying here for a wedding at Sea Breeze lodge couldn't be happier with our choice. The open air shower was a hit with all the guests and ample bathroom space made it easy for 4 people to get wedding ready. Wonderfully decorated taking on a Scandinavian cabin feel and lovely artwork and furniture pieces throughout the home. Easy to see this is lived in home, which added a sense of warmth for the guests. The Kema sign was a great touch and made finding it from the road very simple. Highly recommend for your next stay.Terry M.17 Sep 2020 - VRBOchildhood memories Very nice home and garden. Only one concern pertaining to the water. It would have helpful knowing about the sulphur content in advance.James N.14 Jan 2016 - VRBOHappy New Year's Stay! We spent a lovely 3 days on Hornby Island and thoroughly enjoyed staying at the KEMA house. The house is lovingly decorated and very clean. All amenities we required for our short stay were provided as expected and we felt very comfortable.
The view out to the ocean, Denman Island, and Vancouver Island was also wonderful, as was the beach, which we frequented a few times for a brief walk.
We imagine that Hornby Island and this vacation property are even more lovely in the summer. We'll be back.
- Jeramy R.16 Sep 2019 - VRBOIsland paradise. Great place to relax. Everything you could want. Thanks Martin.Carrie H.28 May 2022 - VRBOBeautiful house on a lovely property It was a joy to be there! Many thanks.Jonathan H.23 Mar 2021 - VRBOGreat little property Exelent stay
- Sharon A.10 Sep 2021 - VRBOFantastic house Loads of charm, very well equipped and super comfortable.Xenia S.02 Sep 2018 - VRBOThank you Martin We had a perfect time on Hornby. The house is beautiful, so much space with a lot of daylights.
My kids did enjoy all the blackberries and deer around the house and my husband loved the outside shower.
We’re really enjoyed it. For sure we’ll come back. Beautiful island with a beautiful house sounds like the perfect vacation. Thank you!Marjolaine H.07 Dec 2021 - VRBORelaxing! Very welcoming cottage with nice fireplace, complete kitchen & outside shower, in natural & relaxing environment!
- Cathy O.23 Jun 2016 - VRBOBright and comfortable This home, close to the ferry, was clean and well equipped. The grounds are gorgeous and the home itself, extremely comfortable and bright. Martin, the owner, was very accomodating and made us feel very welcome. We would highly recommend this rental.Nigel18 Aug 2018 - AirbnbStaying at KEMA was above and beyond our expectations. We arrived to a clean and well appointed cabin with all of the modern amenities (except for a washer and dryer) and fell in love with the entire property.
The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms are excellent and the outdoor shower is sublime after a day at the beach. This is also a fantastic place for kids with an amazing playhouse outside and blackberries for picking.
Martin is quick to reply, courteous and overall great to deal with.
Thank you Martin!Suzi29 Aug 2015 - AirbnbWe just spent a very enjoyable week at Kema house, our first experience using airbnb. The house was beautiful, very comfortable, clean and well kept. Martin, our host, was warm, generous and friendly and answered any questions we had beforehand so that we felt welcome on arrival and easily found everything we needed to settle in and enjoy our vacation on Hornby Island.
- Aaron10 Sep 2019 - AirbnbA charming, wooded retreat. Rustic and retro. Has everything you need for a comfortable stay.susan S.09 Mar 2020 - VRBOPerfect getaway Beautiful property and home. Ideal if you are looking for quiet down time! It had everything we needed.Ivan E.21 Aug 2019 - VRBOA little piece of paradise A beautiful home with an amazing view. Would definitely go back.
READY TO BOOK?
Our Booking Process
Complete & submit the information form below
We will respond with further questions or approve your stay
50% deposit required to confirm an approved booking
50% final payment required 2 weeks prior to stay
Property access codes and information regarding stay sent after final payment
Bookings can also be made on Airbnb or VRBO under the terms offered by these sites