KEMA HOUSE & CABIN ON HORNBY ISLAND
The architect designed KEMA House and the small neighbouring Swedish styled KEMA Cabin sit perched on a slight rise with westerly views of the ocean, Denman Island and the mountains of Vancouver Island. Across the road on the waterfront side of our property a series of stairs lead down the high bank to a beautiful secluded beach. Sand, tidal pools, and the western views lend themselves to lazy beach days with beautiful evening sunsets. Come discover - KEMA House & Cabin on Hornby Island!
The wild beauty of Hornby Island
Yes, Hornby Island is beautiful! Nature's beauty is in abundance everywhere, at Tribune Bay and virtually at every turn on the island. Much of Hornby's beauty is also in the people that call it home and in that which they have created. Click below to explore.
EXPLORE THE GREAT OUTDOORS
Hornby Island has something for everyone: some of the Gulf Islands' nicest beaches, exquisite gardens, hiking and biking trails, kayaking, diving, an observatory and much more.
DISCOVER THE ARTS
Hornby Island has long been a Mecca for the creative soul and is home to world class musicians, visual artists, craftswomen and craftsmen.
Those looking to enjoy a tasty morsel while exploring the island or to savor local spirits and and some sit-down culinary delights won't be disappointed.
FEEL LIKE YOU'VE LANDED ON YOUR OWN ISLAND
At KEMA House & Cabin on Hornby Island, we like to think of our waterfront beach as our own. After the "hike" down our stairs one is treated to a more or less private paradise. Come enjoy!
EVERYDAY ESSENTIALS & MORE
The Hornby Market Square, the Beulah Creek Nursey across the road, the Fords Cove Store and other venues scattered across the island offer everyday essentials and an opportunity to explore a sampling of what the island has to offer.
- Carol C.19 Aug 2020 - VRBOQuiet and serene property Front door lock didn’t work. Need hand rail on deck stairs. Wifi didn’t work.
I had to use a walker to get around. Need something on wall in bathroom to use as an aid for getting up and down . Shower door comes off slider. The stove needs markers for OFF position . Refrigerator could be raised up. A great little place on a beautiful property. Clean as a whistle! Blackberries were plentiful !Jeanette H.07 Sep 2018 - VRBOCabin urgently needs TLC; several safety issues should to be addressed. The property surrounding the cabin is quite pleasant with tall trees for shade, yet an opening is there to see some of the ocean from the cabin deck. There are wild blackberries all around the cabine and lining the driveway - nice for breakfast. Although the property sits on a main road leading from the ferry terminal, it is usually only somewhat noisy in the morning and late afternoon. At night it is very quiet. Deer mums and fawns grazed on lawn regularly.
Ocean access across the road is down several flights of rickety stairs; not ideal to carry down cooler, chairs etc. Better to hop in the car and drive a short distance to Tribune Bay Provincial Park with its beautiful sandy beach. As Hornby Island is quite small, it is really a short drive to all attractions whether they be wineries, distilleries, hikes, beaches etc.
Cabin: smoke detector had no battery in it and was too old, fire extinguisher indicated it needed recharging, railing on the cabin deck was very wobbly; you would not want to lean on it too much or you could topple into the blackberries. The outdoor benches are also wobbly and we had to drive many nails back into deck stairs (with a rock) as they were sticking out. Some of the wiring is iffy; hubby fiddled with bathroom GFCI switch for half an hour to get it to work. Light string outside the cabin does not work either. Ceiling in the bathroom by the toilet is so low (about 4.5 feet) when I stepped back to let husband pass soundly smacked my head on that ceiling; have a big goose egg to prove it.
Ceiling is also low by breakfast table/ chairs so one must always think to duck when one gets up from the chair. Lighting is poor in the cabin, except in kitchen. The lighting that does exist is harsh and often not possible to position where it is needed. We thought to bring book lights or else we would not have been able to read and there is no TV. Cast iron stove is about 2 feet from bed end; thank goodness we still had warm weather and did not have to use it. Not safe to have this heat source so close to bed linen.
We took our garbage with us (as requested) and had to provide all our own water for consumption - sulphur smell of tap water while washing was awful. We received a list or rules prior to check in and then found more rules posted all over this little cabin. 5 in bathroom alone.
2.5 out of 5.Fred20 Sep 2019 - AirbnbGreat little cozy spot to stay on lovely Hornby Island!Angela R.08 Jul 2021 - VRBOWe continue to stay here and love the cozy cabin! We will be back! Love searching for seaglass at the beach across from the cabin. The cabin has everything we need and is affordable. Super cute! Love Hornby!
- Katherine M.01 Aug 2020 - VRBOBeautiful place to stay Beautiful place to staySteve & Charmaine L.06 Oct 2020 - VRBOA Home away from Home ! This home greets you immediately with warmth, charm & style! Loads of light including 3 decks accessing sun exposure anytime during the day. The decor is unique with collectibles and an intriguing library of books.
The modern & amazingly equipped kitchen was easy to prep & enjoy our meals. Our October visit had many evenings sitting outside watching the sun setting.
Oh & the outdoor shower is an experience not to be missed!
We would love to repeat another holiday on Hornby Island with a stay at KEMA House.
As the access to the beach, walks & cycling has it all!
Thank you Martin for sharing your lovely home
Steve & CharmaineBryan01 Jul 2019 - AirbnbA very unique rustic cabin with a great deck and yard for relaxing.Cathy O.23 Jun 2016 - VRBOBright and comfortable This home, close to the ferry, was clean and well equipped. The grounds are gorgeous and the home itself, extremely comfortable and bright. Martin, the owner, was very accomodating and made us feel very welcome. We would highly recommend this rental.
- Landon C.24 Aug 2019 - VRBOKEMA HOUSE the best rental on Hornby KEMA HOUSE was extremely clean and comfortable. We stayed for more then a week and we felt so at home. We will absolutely stay again in the future.karen b.18 Aug 2022 - VRBOvery basic The neighbours from down the road (from Sun Diego)
Invaded our privacy every morningBarbara15 Oct 2019 - AirbnbQuaint little cabin! Lots of privacy! Great location on the island with a view!!mike t.21 Jul 2020 - VRBONice location ! Stayed for 4 nights and the small cabin has everything you need. Nice sunsets and beach spot across the road. Martin is a fantastic host and will give ideas what to see on the island. Would definitely stay again. Thanks
- Katrin12 Sep 2019 - AirbnbThe KEMA cabin is really cosy and has everything you need for your stay on Hornby Island. It was very clean, the wifi worked well and we enjoyed sitting on the patio with a nice seaview.Sharon D.30 Jun 2021 - VRBOExcellent place to stay! Ideal place and was exactly as stated. Super safe and peaceful and easy to cook as well stocked with kitchen requirements. Lovely, large and peaceful property and loved sitting outside. We will return. Excellent owner of cabin.Darci03 Aug 2016 - AirbnbGreat cabin, awesome hosts! We felt so welcomed by Martin and his family. They were so respectful and hit the note of just the right amount of interaction. The beach deck was so awesome for yoga in the morning and the blackberries were so big and juicy and sweet!!David S.20 Jun 2021 - VRBOEverything we hoped for. The cabin and its setting were simple and very enjoyable for us. The outdoor patio and the private garden area are particularly nice with a sunny exposure. We were fortunate to have the warmth of Martin, the owner, and his family in the adjoining house with Martin's first class guidance to art, beaches, hikes and sights on Hornby. We spent quite a bit of time on the private beach as did our Springer Spaniel. Hornby needs no recommendations !
- Suzi29 Aug 2015 - AirbnbWe just spent a very enjoyable week at Kema house, our first experience using airbnb. The house was beautiful, very comfortable, clean and well kept. Martin, our host, was warm, generous and friendly and answered any questions we had beforehand so that we felt welcome on arrival and easily found everything we needed to settle in and enjoy our vacation on Hornby Island.Eesmyal05 Sep 2015 - AirbnbCute place. Friendly host. WiFi was not reliable, but everything else made up for it.Mike02 Jul 2018 - AirbnbGreat place to stay our host Martin was very accommodating and helpful , the place was clean and everything we could possibly need was there we had a great time on Hornby Island is a lot of fun to explore lots of beaches ,the people are great, had a wonderful time .Kendra H.18 Sep 2020 - VRBOPerfect for our family This house worked out perfectly for our family. The kids loved the playhouse and playing in the yard, and we loved getting some late-afternoon downtime on the front deck each day while they did so. It great to have a quiet, peaceful spot to relax after our days at the beach.
- Diane M.04 Aug 2017 - VRBOPeaceful place for a home base We stayed for 3 nights. It's a 'basic' cabin and suited our needs. Positive notes...We wanted quiet and we got it. Close to great biking trails, which we did daily. Visited the entire island. Bed was comfy and great sleeps but did not notice till the last day there were no sheets on the bed. Just a soft mattress cover. Kitchen had all the 'basic's' for cooking. Negative notes...the beach deck was not as I thought. Impressions are it's across the road, which it is, but then down some over 50 very very steep stairs - then the deck. Very hard return up. And the well water had the super strong sulphur smell. I was ok with it, my hubby, not so much. lol Overall it is as described and had the quiet stay I was looking for. Loved the bike trails, the bakery and the Co-op has everything you need. Will definitely be back to Hornby.Alyson03 Aug 2015 - AirbnbCute little one bedroom cottage on Hornby didn't disappoint. Martin greeted us warmly upon arrival and although his property is directly behind the cottage we never felt intruded upon. This is perfect for a couple. We had three in our party and one slept on the floor. It was tight but it was fine. The grounds are beautiful and easy to find. SUPER CLEAN !!!! No bugs or anything. Great cast iron pans. Thanks Martin !!!Shonna B.05 Sep 2021 - VRBOSimple but good The cabin was as describedRobert E.07 Sep 2020 - VRBOPleasant cabin Enjoyed our second trip to this cabin and will likely stay again.
- Caroline B.25 Jun 2022 - VRBOGreat stay! My husband and I had a fabulous time. The cottage is so cute, comfy and well equipped. Loved barbecuing and overlooking the ocean from the patio....wasn't expecting such a lovely view from the property. Owner is super nice and welcoming. We definitely will come back to Hornby and we have found our little getaway cottage when there!Dorota01 Aug 2020 - AirbnbGreat place to stayBrandy F.14 Nov 2016 - VRBOWonderful island get-away with a view of the ocean and a wonderful book collection. Had a cozy winter holiday here and can only imagine a summer visit to enjoy the decks and the beach below.Jonathan H.23 Mar 2021 - VRBOGreat little property Exelent stay
- 12 Aug 2019 - VRBOKEMA GEM Just right and enough, close to where are kids camping...everything worked...one slight change...include top bed sheets rather than just comforter...thanks Bob and GaleKerstin W.10 Aug 2015 - VRBOVery Nice Cabin on a Very Special Island We are a couple from Germany and had a wonderful time on Hornby Island, which seems a little like a lost paradise.
The KEMA cabin was lovely. The hosts were friendly, the cabin was very clean and was outfitted with everything we need for our short stay.
It was also a surprise to find that the beach across the road was really lovely and deserted. At the waterfront here we felt like the only people on a remote island.
Thank you!Nigel18 Aug 2018 - AirbnbStaying at KEMA was above and beyond our expectations. We arrived to a clean and well appointed cabin with all of the modern amenities (except for a washer and dryer) and fell in love with the entire property.
The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms are excellent and the outdoor shower is sublime after a day at the beach. This is also a fantastic place for kids with an amazing playhouse outside and blackberries for picking.
Martin is quick to reply, courteous and overall great to deal with.
Thank you Martin!Jon W.08 Aug 2021 - VRBOA cozy Hornby Island gem We loved our time staying at the KEMA cabin. It’s fully equipped with everything you need and has both a beautiful deck and private beach access. Highly recommended.
- Greg25 Jul 2020 - AirbnbIf you are a princess and you are looking for a marble bathroom it’s not your place!
Otherwise you’ll love this charming little cabin. Very clean rustic place with everything you need for a great time surrounding by nature. Deers were visiting every night during souper time!
You should know that beaches and convenient store are located on the other side of the island. It’s a quick 10mn drive or a 5kms bike ride.
Definitely a place to stay with your love one.Carrie H.28 May 2022 - VRBOBeautiful house on a lovely property It was a joy to be there! Many thanks.susan S.09 Mar 2020 - VRBOPerfect getaway Beautiful property and home. Ideal if you are looking for quiet down time! It had everything we needed.Xenia S.02 Sep 2018 - VRBOThank you Martin We had a perfect time on Hornby. The house is beautiful, so much space with a lot of daylights.
My kids did enjoy all the blackberries and deer around the house and my husband loved the outside shower.
We’re really enjoyed it. For sure we’ll come back. Beautiful island with a beautiful house sounds like the perfect vacation. Thank you!
- Aaron10 Sep 2019 - AirbnbA charming, wooded retreat. Rustic and retro. Has everything you need for a comfortable stay.Dan T.28 Aug 2019 - VRBOsmall rustic cabin small rustic cabin with all the necessities. If your goal is to get out and explore the island, this would make a nice home base. Everything was as described. Enjoy our time immensely.Birgit19 Oct 2019 - AirbnbWe enjoyed our stay. The property was as advertised. The wood burning stove was a quick and easy way to heat the cabin.Stephen08 Aug 2017 - AirbnbGreat little cabin really close to the ferry. The cabin is exactly as described and the pictures are accurate. It was very clean, had a well equipped kitchen, a very comfortable bed, and a great bbq deck. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at KEMA!
- Crystal30 Sep 2017 - AirbnbThe KEMA house is a comfortable place to stay on Hornby very close to the Ferry and local Pub. The sunsets over the water were lovely from this side of the Island too. But note that the water is across the main road and down a number of stairs, the house is not on the water. Also make sure to bring water with you for drinking (and maybe brushing teeth) because the house is on a well and the water smells highly of sulfur. Otherwise, the house is super comfortable for your Hornby stay. Cooking is easy in the big kitchen and the beds were good.Robin D.15 Jul 2020 - VRBOlovely little cabin Great spot would highly recommend it for a quiet get away. Host was very nice.Robyn M.10 Sep 2019 - VRBOSweet Getaway Had such a lovely stay here. Perfect for sunsets and longs walks on the beach 🙂 The cabin had everything we needed and felt homie and warm. Thanks for the stay!Hope P.28 Aug 2019 - VRBOLovely stay at KEMA House on Hornby Island We very much enjoyed our stay at KEMA House on Hornby Island. The house was clean, comfortable, well-equipped and full of character. My kids enjoyed the playhouse out back and picking blackberries in the large yard. Martin was an excellent host, and very quick to reply to a couple of our queries during our stay. We hope to visit again in future!
- Rob M.10 Jun 2019 - VRBOGreat holiday Stayed two weeks at KEMA cottage. Quiet and enjoyable.Brad15 Sep 2018 - AirbnbCozy and quiet cabin close to ferry terminal. Lovely outside space with deck, picnic table and barbeque. Across the road from the beach access with great space for glass of wine or picnic dinner.Nadia28 Jul 2015 - AirbnbWe had a lovely time staying at the Kema cabin. So close to the ferry and not far from the delicious Cardboard House bakery/pizza place. The scenic drive to "downtown" Hornby isn't that far either. For that matter no destination is really that far. Beautiful private beach right across the street from the cabin with an abundance of sea life and white sand. The cabin pretty much has everything you need. We brought our own music player though and games to occupy us in the later evening. I would highly recommend the Kema cabin. The Rempel family are wonderful hosts.
Nadia GeffroyTerry M.17 Sep 2020 - VRBOchildhood memories Very nice home and garden. Only one concern pertaining to the water. It would have helpful knowing about the sulphur content in advance.
- ROLAND V.02 Aug 2022 - VRBOHornby Cabin Host and family are very friendly and interested in ensuring you have a good stay. Cabin is small, but has all amenities - shower, toilet/sink, stove , small fridge.... All cutlery there. BBQ is easy to use. Umbrella on deck provides lots of shade.
Some of the 4 stars that I gave are because, it is a cabin. It was clean, but it was a cabin.Karin10 Jun 2017 - AirbnbGreat place to stay on Hornby!Angela R.16 Sep 2019 - VRBOAwesome! 3rd time we have stayed in this adorable cabin. Very special place for us and we love Hornby!Glynis14 Sep 2020 - VRBOBeautiful The property and house are both fantastic
- Cam C.27 Sep 2021 - VRBOCozy cabin I had a great trip to Hornby island this year and it all centred around my home base “Kema Cabin”. About a kilometre up from Shingle Spit Ferry and it’s a perfect cabin for one or two people that has everything you need including a comfy bed, a small kitchen with all the amenities and a hot shower with good pressure. The property does have WIFI but I found when I was using it I kept having to sign in if I moved around the cabin or deck but a really small complaint in the grand scheme of things. The private beach is across the street and down some custom built stairs and is really beautiful and very private and if you don’t feel like setting out for Tribune or Whaling station this a nice alternative that’s just a few minutes walk away. The deck offers a small view of the ocean that is a great spot for your morning coffee. I would recommend Kema Cabin for a couple or even if you’re on a solo trip. This is a peaceful home base where you’ll be comfortable before and after all your Hornby adventures!Fred29 Sep 2019 - AirbnbLovely little cabin!Wayne S.15 Jun 2022 - VRBOLove the Deck Comfortable…..Netta M.23 Sep 2020 - VRBOLittle red Cabin A cute little cabin just up the road from the ferry. We stayed 2 nights. It has all you need in the kitchen except bring a sponge for dishes. Also bring a top sheet for the bed. It had a comforter but no sheet. The property is lovely and has a bigger house that Martin rents as well. There was enough privacy between both properties. Fire pit on the property was a bonus. The beach is right across. Lots of oysters. The stairs to get down are good. It's a long way down but worth the descent. We visited Tirbune Bay Beach and WOW. absolutely the best beach I've seen here on the west coast. Martin's place was a last minute booking and for what is was it was enough for 2 nights. Bring beach towels and cash for the little farm stands around the island.
- Anna F.14 Sep 2020 - VRBOGreat spot for a getaway! Love this little cabin. Everything you need and a wonderful location. The wood burning fireplace was a nice touch as well.Jeramy R.16 Sep 2019 - VRBOIsland paradise. Great place to relax. Everything you could want. Thanks Martin.Christina15 Jul 2020 - AirbnbWhat a wonderful spot! Can’t beat the location, what an amazing stay - we will be back thanks again!!Carolyn C.05 Oct 2019 - VRBOBeautiful, thought spot Thanks so much for sharing the KEMA house a wonderful feel!
- James N.14 Jan 2016 - VRBOHappy New Year's Stay! We spent a lovely 3 days on Hornby Island and thoroughly enjoyed staying at the KEMA house. The house is lovingly decorated and very clean. All amenities we required for our short stay were provided as expected and we felt very comfortable.
The view out to the ocean, Denman Island, and Vancouver Island was also wonderful, as was the beach, which we frequented a few times for a brief walk.
We imagine that Hornby Island and this vacation property are even more lovely in the summer. We'll be back.Dallas03 Aug 2019 - AirbnbWOW! What an amazing place to stay. The beach access was just a short walk away that our family enjoyed each morning. Spotting bald eagles, deer and other wonderful beach treasures made the stay even more magical. We highly recommend this cabin to stay in while you enjoy your stay at Hornby Island!Sharon A.10 Sep 2021 - VRBOFantastic house Loads of charm, very well equipped and super comfortable.Benjamin04 Jul 2019 - AirbnbFantastic cabin for the location and price. Wonderful property with a very cute place to stay.
- Stephan17 Sep 2018 - AirbnbClean place great location. Attentioned host. Better than the pics.Michael25 Jun 2018 - AirbnbThe house was incredibly comfortable and has everything you need for a wonderful stay on Hornby. The house is spacious inside and well laid out. The kitchen is well stocked, bedrooms were great and the garden outside is perfect with a beautiful ocean view from the front deck. The location is close enough to everything but also secluded and private and the stunning beach across the road is fantastic for walks and sunsets.Ivan E.21 Aug 2019 - VRBOA little piece of paradise A beautiful home with an amazing view. Would definitely go back.Jennifer S.31 Mar 2022 - VRBOHornby is beautiful in the spring! I have never been to Hornby in the spring, and it was so peaceful! This house was in a great location, with it's own private beach. The house is very artfully decorated, and had all the amenities we needed.
- Daniel03 Jul 2017 - AirbnbWe had the pleasure of staying here for a wedding at Sea Breeze lodge couldn't be happier with our choice. The open air shower was a hit with all the guests and ample bathroom space made it easy for 4 people to get wedding ready. Wonderfully decorated taking on a Scandinavian cabin feel and lovely artwork and furniture pieces throughout the home. Easy to see this is lived in home, which added a sense of warmth for the guests. The Kema sign was a great touch and made finding it from the road very simple. Highly recommend for your next stay.Marty30 Aug 2018 - VRBOLovely home, well equipped and comfortable! Enjoyed our time here very much! The place was spotless with everything we needed and more! Sooo many books! :))) We only wished we could have stayed longer! Love Hornby and would definitely want to stay at KEMA House again! Thank you! M. RileyQiaoyi L.16 Apr 2017 - VRBOLovely house The house is spacious and lovely, equipped with all the essentials. Location is pefect, 1 minute drive from the ferry terminal and few minutes walk to the beach. We didn't get to meet the owner, but the cleaner Andrea helped us open the key lock and suggested a few places to visit which was very helpful. The island is beautiful, would love to come back in the summer to visit wineries and enjoy more activities.Maryam W.07 Sep 2021 - VRBOBlissful Stay on Hornby KEMA house was a wonderful place to call home for a week.
The home was clean and obviously well loved by Martin and his family. Communication with the owner was very easy and timely. The property is private and tranquil and the beach across the street is virtually deserted! The sunsets from the beach and beautiful; bring a picnic basket and just immerse yourself in the beauty of the place. Thank you Rempel family for sharing your oasis with us!
- Marjolaine H.07 Dec 2021 - VRBORelaxing! Very welcoming cottage with nice fireplace, complete kitchen & outside shower, in natural & relaxing environment!Karen H.10 Nov 2021 - VRBOFall getaway We had a wonderful November stay at the KEMA house. The property had everything we needed. It was a cosy and warm place to return to at the end of our days of long walks through various trails on beautiful Hornby Island. Martin was a very responsive host. We highly recommend a visit here.Erin M.27 Jul 2021 - VRBOSuper sweet place! Cozy cute little cabin! Very quiet and private with a peek through ocean view! The cabin had everything we needed and was very comfortable. It was warm here so nights sleeping were quite warm but with the front door open it was perfect. Super close to the ferry terminal and a great home base for all of our island exploring. The owners also provided a great guide of the island and were available for questions as needed.Brian W.29 May 2017 - VRBOSunny May Getaway What a splendid house. Bright, well equipped and full of books and tasteful décor. Enjoyed the sunny deck both on the porch and down below on the enchanted beach below. Will certainly return.
- 12 Sep 2021 - VRBOSuch a Sweetheart cabin So close to the superb sunsets on the beach waking up to bird song and plums dropping from the tree. LovelyWally M.19 Jul 2016 - VRBOCabin review Overall the cabin was fine two things that we feel need improvement 1 the bed mattress very lumpy and no bed frame very low to the floor 2 the freezer in the fridge never was defrosted full of ice and snow could not use hope this info is helpful to you.Gillian13 Aug 2016 - AirbnbThank you - we enjoyed our week on Hornby Island!Laura12 Aug 2019 - AirbnbThis is a very charming and comfortable cabin. Everything you need for a short or longer stay. Very clean and the location is absolutely perfect.