The little Swedish styled KEMA Cabin is a cozy little hideaway that exudes the feeling of simple vacations of past. The cabin has its own yard space and some water views from the deck. There is private waterfront access across Shingle Spit road on the KEMA property.
KEMA CABIN TOUR
1 km from Ferry Landing
Only 1 km from ferry landing and Thatch Restaurant & Pub.
Free Hornby Island bus from ferry landing to stop shortly before our property. Bus will also usually stop on request.
Private Cabin Entrance
Front door entrance via lockbox key entry.
On property parking - single vehicle only.
Queen Beds with Linens
1 queen bed with memory foam mattress with cotton/linnen bed linens. We make our beds European style without a top sheet (duvet covers are washed after every stay), but provide a top sheet for your use if desired. Linens are washed with anti-allergen, organic laundry detergent.
Towels provided. Guests must bring their own beach towels.
Mini kitchenette that includes at least some of the comforts of home, including a 4-element range, bar fridge, microwave, toaster, french press coffee maker, basic cooking utensils and dishes, and more.
Indoor shower in bathroom.
BBQ & Fire Pit
BBQ on front deck & a fire pit on the field in front of the cabin.
Peek-a-Boo Mountain & Water Views
Peek-a-boo mountain & water views from cabin deck.
Cabin deck with Picnic Table
Cabin deck with picnic table, some wooden recliner chairs and sun umbrella.
Beach access across the road on the water front side of our property to our virtually private beach with shady deck. Access is via a number of flights of stairs (we are a high bank property).
High tide offers some great beginner snorkeling opportunities.
Carry your kayaks down to the waterfront and launch during high tide directly from our beach.
Walk to the ferry landing and then on along the enchanted Ford Cove trail to Ford's Cove.
KEMA CABIN RATES
Please contact us if you have any questions
- 5 night stay minimum
- 10 % discount for 7 nights or more
- Taxes: 8% PST, 5% GST, 3% MRDT
- 3 night stay minimum
- 10% discount for 7 nights or more
- Taxes: 8% PST, 5% GST, 3% MRDT
- 5 night stay minimum
- 13% discount applies for stays 7 nights or longer
- 7% discount for stays of 5 - 6 nights
- Anna F.14 Sep 2020 - VRBOGreat spot for a getaway! Love this little cabin. Everything you need and a wonderful location. The wood burning fireplace was a nice touch as well.Jeanette H.07 Sep 2018 - VRBOCabin urgently needs TLC; several safety issues should to be addressed. The property surrounding the cabin is quite pleasant with tall trees for shade, yet an opening is there to see some of the ocean from the cabin deck. There are wild blackberries all around the cabine and lining the driveway - nice for breakfast. Although the property sits on a main road leading from the ferry terminal, it is usually only somewhat noisy in the morning and late afternoon. At night it is very quiet. Deer mums and fawns grazed on lawn regularly.
Ocean access across the road is down several flights of rickety stairs; not ideal to carry down cooler, chairs etc. Better to hop in the car and drive a short distance to Tribune Bay Provincial Park with its beautiful sandy beach. As Hornby Island is quite small, it is really a short drive to all attractions whether they be wineries, distilleries, hikes, beaches etc.
Cabin: smoke detector had no battery in it and was too old, fire extinguisher indicated it needed recharging, railing on the cabin deck was very wobbly; you would not want to lean on it too much or you could topple into the blackberries. The outdoor benches are also wobbly and we had to drive many nails back into deck stairs (with a rock) as they were sticking out. Some of the wiring is iffy; hubby fiddled with bathroom GFCI switch for half an hour to get it to work. Light string outside the cabin does not work either. Ceiling in the bathroom by the toilet is so low (about 4.5 feet) when I stepped back to let husband pass soundly smacked my head on that ceiling; have a big goose egg to prove it.
Ceiling is also low by breakfast table/ chairs so one must always think to duck when one gets up from the chair. Lighting is poor in the cabin, except in kitchen. The lighting that does exist is harsh and often not possible to position where it is needed. We thought to bring book lights or else we would not have been able to read and there is no TV. Cast iron stove is about 2 feet from bed end; thank goodness we still had warm weather and did not have to use it. Not safe to have this heat source so close to bed linen.
We took our garbage with us (as requested) and had to provide all our own water for consumption - sulphur smell of tap water while washing was awful. We received a list or rules prior to check in and then found more rules posted all over this little cabin. 5 in bathroom alone.
2.5 out of 5.Mike02 Jul 2018 - AirbnbGreat place to stay our host Martin was very accommodating and helpful , the place was clean and everything we could possibly need was there we had a great time on Hornby Island is a lot of fun to explore lots of beaches ,the people are great, had a wonderful time .
- Christina15 Jul 2020 - AirbnbWhat a wonderful spot! Can’t beat the location, what an amazing stay - we will be back thanks again!!Alyson03 Aug 2015 - AirbnbCute little one bedroom cottage on Hornby didn't disappoint. Martin greeted us warmly upon arrival and although his property is directly behind the cottage we never felt intruded upon. This is perfect for a couple. We had three in our party and one slept on the floor. It was tight but it was fine. The grounds are beautiful and easy to find. SUPER CLEAN !!!! No bugs or anything. Great cast iron pans. Thanks Martin !!!Stephen08 Aug 2017 - AirbnbGreat little cabin really close to the ferry. The cabin is exactly as described and the pictures are accurate. It was very clean, had a well equipped kitchen, a very comfortable bed, and a great bbq deck. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at KEMA!
- Sharon D.30 Jun 2021 - VRBOExcellent place to stay! Ideal place and was exactly as stated. Super safe and peaceful and easy to cook as well stocked with kitchen requirements. Lovely, large and peaceful property and loved sitting outside. We will return. Excellent owner of cabin.Barbara15 Oct 2019 - AirbnbQuaint little cabin! Lots of privacy! Great location on the island with a view!!Caroline B.25 Jun 2022 - VRBOGreat stay! My husband and I had a fabulous time. The cottage is so cute, comfy and well equipped. Loved barbecuing and overlooking the ocean from the patio....wasn't expecting such a lovely view from the property. Owner is super nice and welcoming. We definitely will come back to Hornby and we have found our little getaway cottage when there!
- Brad15 Sep 2018 - AirbnbCozy and quiet cabin close to ferry terminal. Lovely outside space with deck, picnic table and barbeque. Across the road from the beach access with great space for glass of wine or picnic dinner.David S.20 Jun 2021 - VRBOEverything we hoped for. The cabin and its setting were simple and very enjoyable for us. The outdoor patio and the private garden area are particularly nice with a sunny exposure. We were fortunate to have the warmth of Martin, the owner, and his family in the adjoining house with Martin's first class guidance to art, beaches, hikes and sights on Hornby. We spent quite a bit of time on the private beach as did our Springer Spaniel. Hornby needs no recommendations !Nadia28 Jul 2015 - AirbnbWe had a lovely time staying at the Kema cabin. So close to the ferry and not far from the delicious Cardboard House bakery/pizza place. The scenic drive to "downtown" Hornby isn't that far either. For that matter no destination is really that far. Beautiful private beach right across the street from the cabin with an abundance of sea life and white sand. The cabin pretty much has everything you need. We brought our own music player though and games to occupy us in the later evening. I would highly recommend the Kema cabin. The Rempel family are wonderful hosts.
- Fred29 Sep 2019 - AirbnbLovely little cabin!Dallas03 Aug 2019 - AirbnbWOW! What an amazing place to stay. The beach access was just a short walk away that our family enjoyed each morning. Spotting bald eagles, deer and other wonderful beach treasures made the stay even more magical. We highly recommend this cabin to stay in while you enjoy your stay at Hornby Island!Esther11 Aug 2018 - AirbnbGreat deck to relax on, super view, good bed, wonderful hot showers.
- Shonna B.05 Sep 2021 - VRBOSimple but good The cabin was as describedLaura12 Aug 2019 - AirbnbThis is a very charming and comfortable cabin. Everything you need for a short or longer stay. Very clean and the location is absolutely perfect.Robin D.15 Jul 2020 - VRBOlovely little cabin Great spot would highly recommend it for a quiet get away. Host was very nice.
- Bryan01 Jul 2019 - AirbnbA very unique rustic cabin with a great deck and yard for relaxing.Angela R.01 Jul 2019 - VRBOCute rustic cabin We've stayed twice and adore Hornby. Cute rustic cabin with everything you need. Feels like camping but elevated. Beach across the street is super peaceful and a great spot to search for sea glass. Stairs to beach are a bit sketchy but doesn't bother us. A special place for us.12 Sep 2021 - VRBOSuch a Sweetheart cabin So close to the superb sunsets on the beach waking up to bird song and plums dropping from the tree. Lovely
- Andre18 Aug 2018 - AirbnbVery clean, well organized, beautiful private beach, easy check in, small space as to be expected but has what you need.Dan T.28 Aug 2019 - VRBOsmall rustic cabin small rustic cabin with all the necessities. If your goal is to get out and explore the island, this would make a nice home base. Everything was as described. Enjoy our time immensely.Robert E.07 Sep 2020 - VRBOPleasant cabin Enjoyed our second trip to this cabin and will likely stay again.
- Wally M.19 Jul 2016 - VRBOCabin review Overall the cabin was fine two things that we feel need improvement 1 the bed mattress very lumpy and no bed frame very low to the floor 2 the freezer in the fridge never was defrosted full of ice and snow could not use hope this info is helpful to you.Darci03 Aug 2016 - AirbnbGreat cabin, awesome hosts! We felt so welcomed by Martin and his family. They were so respectful and hit the note of just the right amount of interaction. The beach deck was so awesome for yoga in the morning and the blackberries were so big and juicy and sweet!!Erin M.27 Jul 2021 - VRBOSuper sweet place! Cozy cute little cabin! Very quiet and private with a peek through ocean view! The cabin had everything we needed and was very comfortable. It was warm here so nights sleeping were quite warm but with the front door open it was perfect. Super close to the ferry terminal and a great home base for all of our island exploring. The owners also provided a great guide of the island and were available for questions as needed.
- Angela R.08 Jul 2021 - VRBOWe continue to stay here and love the cozy cabin! We will be back! Love searching for seaglass at the beach across from the cabin. The cabin has everything we need and is affordable. Super cute! Love Hornby!Robyn M.10 Sep 2019 - VRBOSweet Getaway Had such a lovely stay here. Perfect for sunsets and longs walks on the beach 🙂 The cabin had everything we needed and felt homie and warm. Thanks for the stay!Netta M.23 Sep 2020 - VRBOLittle red Cabin A cute little cabin just up the road from the ferry. We stayed 2 nights. It has all you need in the kitchen except bring a sponge for dishes. Also bring a top sheet for the bed. It had a comforter but no sheet. The property is lovely and has a bigger house that Martin rents as well. There was enough privacy between both properties. Fire pit on the property was a bonus. The beach is right across. Lots of oysters. The stairs to get down are good. It's a long way down but worth the descent. We visited Tirbune Bay Beach and WOW. absolutely the best beach I've seen here on the west coast. Martin's place was a last minute booking and for what is was it was enough for 2 nights. Bring beach towels and cash for the little farm stands around the island.
- Birgit19 Oct 2019 - AirbnbWe enjoyed our stay. The property was as advertised. The wood burning stove was a quick and easy way to heat the cabin.karen b.18 Aug 2022 - VRBOvery basic The neighbours from down the road (from Sun Diego)
Invaded our privacy every morningBenjamin04 Jul 2019 - AirbnbFantastic cabin for the location and price. Wonderful property with a very cute place to stay.
- Carol C.19 Aug 2020 - VRBOQuiet and serene property Front door lock didn’t work. Need hand rail on deck stairs. Wifi didn’t work.
I had to use a walker to get around. Need something on wall in bathroom to use as an aid for getting up and down . Shower door comes off slider. The stove needs markers for OFF position . Refrigerator could be raised up. A great little place on a beautiful property. Clean as a whistle! Blackberries were plentiful !Fred20 Sep 2019 - AirbnbGreat little cozy spot to stay on lovely Hornby Island!Eesmyal05 Sep 2015 - AirbnbCute place. Friendly host. WiFi was not reliable, but everything else made up for it.
- mike t.21 Jul 2020 - VRBONice location ! Stayed for 4 nights and the small cabin has everything you need. Nice sunsets and beach spot across the road. Martin is a fantastic host and will give ideas what to see on the island. Would definitely stay again. ThanksDiane M.04 Aug 2017 - VRBOPeaceful place for a home base We stayed for 3 nights. It's a 'basic' cabin and suited our needs. Positive notes...We wanted quiet and we got it. Close to great biking trails, which we did daily. Visited the entire island. Bed was comfy and great sleeps but did not notice till the last day there were no sheets on the bed. Just a soft mattress cover. Kitchen had all the 'basic's' for cooking. Negative notes...the beach deck was not as I thought. Impressions are it's across the road, which it is, but then down some over 50 very very steep stairs - then the deck. Very hard return up. And the well water had the super strong sulphur smell. I was ok with it, my hubby, not so much. lol Overall it is as described and had the quiet stay I was looking for. Loved the bike trails, the bakery and the Co-op has everything you need. Will definitely be back to Hornby.12 Aug 2019 - VRBOKEMA GEM Just right and enough, close to where are kids camping...everything worked...one slight change...include top bed sheets rather than just comforter...thanks Bob and Gale
- Jon W.08 Aug 2021 - VRBOA cozy Hornby Island gem We loved our time staying at the KEMA cabin. It’s fully equipped with everything you need and has both a beautiful deck and private beach access. Highly recommended.Angela R.16 Sep 2019 - VRBOAwesome! 3rd time we have stayed in this adorable cabin. Very special place for us and we love Hornby!Gillian13 Aug 2016 - AirbnbThank you - we enjoyed our week on Hornby Island!
- Wayne S.15 Jun 2022 - VRBOLove the Deck Comfortable…..Katrin12 Sep 2019 - AirbnbThe KEMA cabin is really cosy and has everything you need for your stay on Hornby Island. It was very clean, the wifi worked well and we enjoyed sitting on the patio with a nice seaview.Greg25 Jul 2020 - AirbnbIf you are a princess and you are looking for a marble bathroom it’s not your place!
Otherwise you’ll love this charming little cabin. Very clean rustic place with everything you need for a great time surrounding by nature. Deers were visiting every night during souper time!
You should know that beaches and convenient store are located on the other side of the island. It’s a quick 10mn drive or a 5kms bike ride.
Definitely a place to stay with your love one.
READY TO BOOK?
Our Booking Process
Complete & submit the information form below
We will respond with further questions or approve your stay
50% deposit required to confirm an approved booking
50% final payment required 2 weeks prior to stay
Property access codes and information regarding stay sent after final payment
Bookings can also be made on Airbnb or VRBO under the terms offered by these sites
Check our Availability
HOUSE RULES & RENTAL TERMS
- 50% rental deposit is non-refundable for cancellations less than 2 weeks prior to arrival.
- Check-in after 4 pm.
- Check-out before 11 am.
- KEMA House: 4 individuals maximum (strictly enforced)
- KEMA Cabin: 2 individuals maximum (ask about additional children)
- No pets.
- Absolutely no parties. Property is monitored.
- No illegal activity anywhere on the property. This includes illegal internet downloads.
- Strictly no smoking anywhere on the property.
- If you break or damage something, please be so kind as to let us know and if possible try to make arrangements for replacement or repair.
- NOTHING may be flushed other than bodily waste & toilet paper. NO WIPES or FEMININ PRODUCTS!
- No grease, coffee grounds or inorganic liquids down any drain.
- Do not leave food outside or keep doors open. This will attract uninvited pests.
- Keep all gates closed. ALWAYS. Deer will take any opportunity to eat the garden and will charge when frightened.
- Towels are not to be used as beach towels & please respect our linens. We are not a hotel that can afford to regularly replace soiled items.
- Guests must remove their garbage from the property at the end of stay.
- It is expected that the house & cabin are left in a state similar to that upon arrival.